Wednesday, September 17, 2014

Ugly

The twins were playing happily in their bedroom, allowing me to sneak a couple of quiet minutes lying down in my own room.

Then, sweet 7 year old Sophia stepped into my room with her head hanging down, looking very sad.

"What's wrong?" I asked.

With tears in her eyes, she croaked, "Lily said I'm ugly."

Now, SOME parents might have said something warm and uplifting to their emotionally injured child. Some might take this teachable moment and use it to discuss inner vs. superficial beauty. But, no. Not me. I burst out in a big, LOUD laugh...a true belly laugh.

"That's the worst insult I've ever heard! You're IDENTICLE twins! She looks exactly the same as you!"

Luckily, Sophia immediately saw the humor and giggled at the double meaning of her sister's statement. Lily, on the other hand, was pretty ticked off when she realized that not only had she been caught saying hurtful things, but that she insulted herself in the process!

No need for a lengthy discussion here, folks. I'm pretty sure this lesson taught itself: Saying ugly words about another makes YOU ugly, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment